Nevada Chapter Support Groups
Our chapter is proud to offer monthly support groups statewide. Support group meetings can be an educational gathering, a safe place to express emotions, or a forum to share experiences and information. People with ALS, caregivers, family members, and friends are welcome to attend to give and take the wisdom and experience that comes from living with a devastating illness.
On learning of his ALS diagnosis and attending our Henderson support group, Brian said:
"After the full spectrum of emotions you would expect, I realized that I could basically either give up and withdraw or fight and make the most of the time I have left...The support groups not only help to show you're not alone but are a great place to get information that you might not otherwise easily find on your own. I think on the the reasons I'm still here going on 6 years is because I've had people to lean on including the ALS Association staff, as well as the people I've met a the support group. I know that dealing with this disease, even small things can be an ordeal, but I really do believe that you'll find attending the support group beneficial."
Bob and Helen said of our Carson City support group:
"...The bottom line for us is that just being with other ALS patients and their families provides the opportunity to hear what others are experiencing. Even though we haven't had the particular experience yet, it helps to get a heads-up about what may be coming. It helps to reduce the 'unknowns'. We also find that presentations by different providers - wheelchairs, text-to-speech devices, ventilators, physical therapists, speech pathologists, etc - provide insights into what kind of help is out there. Most of us are in this type of a situation for the first time and learning what kind of help is out there on your own is a daunting task: you don't know what you don't know!"
Our Chapter currently offers monthly virtual support groups for people with ALS and caregivers throughout the state:
- ALS Support Group every 3rd Thursday at 5pm - People with ALS, caregivers, family members, and friends are welcome to attend to give and take the wisdom and experience that comes from living with a devastating illness.
- Caregiver Support Group every 4th Thursday at 5pm - A safe place for caregivers to ask questions, discuss challenges, listen to or give advice, or just talk with others who understand.
For more information, meeting invitations, or to request a topic for discussion or presentation, call our office at 702-777-0500
or contact your Care Services Coordinator, Susie or Taryn.
ALS Association Nevada Chapter Support Groups
Support groups are a great resource for people to maintain control over their lives, to give and take the wisdom and experience that comes from living with a devastating illness. Support groups are open to people with ALS, caregivers, family members, friends, or coworkers. Here is a list of some things ALS support groups provide:
· A forum to share information and practical experience, whether it’s learning how to improve physical function, discussing new drug trials, or experiencing the latest augmentative technologies all geared to helping you live more fully with the disease.
· A safe place to allow your emotions to speak for you. The group offers an unparalleled opportunity to learn how other people cope with various problems similar to yours, to see that patients and family members are not completely unique, and that others experience the same type of feelings and emotions about the disease as you do.
· An educational gathering spot where speakers and caregivers address subjects of major interest and exchange; how to incorporate physical and occupational therapy into your life; how to counteract problems in swallowing and chewing; safeguards that can help you avoid pulmonary complications; and ways of coping with depression and caregiver “burnout”, among many other topics.
· A place to witness firsthand the constant miracle of people continuing to live productive, fulfilling lives in spite of having ALS.
-Source: Forbes Norris ALS Research Center
“The support groups not only help to show you're not alone but are a great place to get information that you might not otherwise easily find on your own. I think one of the reasons I'm still here going on 6 years is because I've had people to lean on including the ALS Association staff, as well as the people I've met at the support group.” – Brian
Northern Nevada – Carson City
Fourth Wednesday of every month at 1:00pm
The Lodge Assisted Living
2200 E Long St, Carson City, NV 89706
Northern Nevada – Reno
Fourth Thursday of every month at 12:30pm
5538 Longley Ln, Reno, NV 89511
Southern Nevada – Henderson
Fourth Tuesday of every month at 12:30pm
Barbara Greenspun WomensCare Center of Excellence
2651 Paseo Verde Pkwy, Ste 180, Henderson, NV 89074
Southern Nevada – Summerlin
Second Wednesday of every month at 2:30pm
Mountainview Presbyterian Church
8601 Del Webb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89134 (enter through office)
For more information, directions, or to request a topic for discussion or presentation, contact Taryn Joyner at 702-768-2329 or email@example.com.